Wednesday, June 10, 2009

My, How Things Have Changed

This past weekend, we had our couples shower which turned out AMAZING! We had so much fun and it was so wonderful to be able to catch up with friends and family. My sister, Emilee, threw us the shower and did such a wonderful job. She's so good to us! :) She even drove 30 minutes to this one bakery just to get our favorite cake. Tuxedo Truffle! It's deadly and oh so good! She had told me she couldn't find it anywhere, but ended up surprising us. I tried not to eat the entire thing myself. We ended up getting so much stuff at our shower, which shocked me. I guess I thought we would end up coming home with mostly clothes, but that wasn't the case at all. I felt like we had robbed a store or something. Our car looked absolutely ridiculous on the way home. I'm surprised stuff wasn't strapped to the hood and hanging out the windows. When we returned home, I felt like I was hit with a ton of bricks. I was excited when we were opening all of the gifts, but now they were all in my home. Wow! This is really happening. I was starting to separate Davis' little clothes and just felt overwhelmed all of a sudden with nervousness. I couldn't help but start crying. (At least this time wasn't an uncontrollable cry!) Now in less than 80 days, we will have our little baby home with us. It excites me, but yes, it scares me at the same time. I thought my freaked out, nervous feelings were mostly over. But I'm starting to think that they are starting all over again.

I can't believe he's going to be that small!



The next day, we went out to exchange and return a lot of the stuff from the shower. Odd thing about it was that it was my birthday that day. Talk about a different feeling shopping for a baby on your birthday, especially when they aren't here yet! But I'm not going to lie, I loved every minute of it! I was so happy getting stuff for him that I felt like it was the best birthday. So we were in Target and were picking out mattresses for his crib. I couldn't just buy any mattress, you know!? So, what do I do? I pull all of the mattresses out, lay them on the ground, and proceed to lay on top of them. I mean come on, I have to think it's comfortable for him to think it's comfortable, right? Plus, I was wearing a dress which I'm sure was a nice sight when I was trying to get myself off of the ground! Michael didn't care a bit of course. He just stood there and laughed at me, saying 'only you!' But, of course!
Almost done with the furnitue! :)


That night, Michael and I went out to my favorite place for dinner at Fiore! YUMMM!!! We had such an amazing time. I really think this was one of my favorite birthdays in so many years. I would take just spending time with him over anything. But, it was still weird thinking what we would have done this time last year. After dinner, we would have sat at the bar for a couple of drinks, hung out for a bit, and then probably gone home. This year, we were done with dinner pretty early. It was still only about 8pm. So instead, we decided to rent a movie. After choosing our movies, the guy at the counter told me Happy Birthday! You get a free rental today! Michael and I started cracking up! I had a moment where I just felt 90 and needed to go put on a huge flannel gown or something. I didn't know you got a free rental on your birthday, probably because I've done anything but on my birthday!

At Fiore for my birthday :)

We talked on the way home about what we are most excited about, what we'll miss, things changing, and so forth. He's going to be such an amazing dad. As soon as we get home, I realize our dog had gotten into something, but didn't know what yet. He smelled of really weird beef jerky! OH LORD! What did he eat now?!? I find bits and pieces of a huge clove of garlic in the dining room, still wet from him slobbering all over it. Really? I should keep him with me at all times now to keep bugs away. I couldn't even be upset at all because I thought it was so funny. Dumb dog! Great. I'm going to have two toddlers in the house to watch over!

5 comments:

The Whites said...

found you on SITS. Your blog photo is beautiful! Enjoyed reading your site. Congrats on the baby! Looking forward to reading about his arrival. Blessings!

Why Mom Drinks Rum said...

Thanks for visiting!

You guys are too cute :o) It is a wonderful time...the first year is amazing.

Happy belated birthday.

mommytoalot said...

Oh how very exciting. Hold on to these days..
thanks for stopping by my blog on my saucy day.
Lisa

Jennifer said...

PPS: I want to do a couples shower too someday, it would be fun to have hubby there!

And I work for channel 8 :)

Kate said...

Oh my gosh, you were so adorable pregnant. You must have lots and lots more babies!

{Happy SITS Day!}