Sunday, December 6, 2009

We Are The Griswald's

I have been looking forward to doing the Christmas parade and lights with my family for several weeks now! I absolutely LOVE Christmas. I swear, it just makes me so happy. And I love having my sweet little baby around this year to experience it with. So much fun. In Marshall, which is not far from here, they had a big holiday celebration with an ice skating rink outside, Santa, carriage rides, etc. This sounded perfect for us. My mom came in from Dallas to go with us and we were ready. I even bought Davis this great outfit that kept him super warm. He looked like a little bear all bundled up! We got to Marshall and the town was all lit up with great lights everywhere. We went to this great antique/coffee shop/bistro for dinner before checking out the lights. After dinner, we really wanted to do a carriage ride that took you through neighborhoods of these GINORMOUS houses with beautiful lights. BUT, the carriage rides were sold out. Sold out?? What? Okay, fine. So we decided to go on a guided tour bus, thinking this would be better anyway and we would stay warm. Negatory! The bus broke down which was why all of the carriage rides were sold out. Go figure. Michael has never been ice skating before, so we of course had to give it a try. I swear, it was the funniest thing I have ever seen in my life! He looked like a toddler learning how to walk. Sad to say, he ate it and ate it hard. It was like slow motion in a movie. Legs kicking up in the air, arms flying everywhere, landing flat on his back. He laughed at the time, so I didn't think he hurt himself too bad. Wrong! He thinks he may have actually broken his ankle. Good Lord. What else!! We made our own tour and looked at lights on our own, which was very nice. By this point, we are on our way home. Marshall is a little over an hour from our house. Driving on the highway, we hear something and sure enough, we got a flat tire. All I could do at this point was laugh. We were on what seemed like the longest bridge in the world and had to make it to the other side to pull over. Serenity now!! Michael gets out, sprained ankle and all, and starts to change to tire. Nope. The rim has a lock on it and we don't have the key. You've got to be kidding me. Keeps getting better. We are on empty, so we decided we should turn the car off to save gas. Yeah, so the battery goes dead which of course causes the flashers to go out. We are now standing at this point on the side of the highway at midnight, waiting for anyone to come get us. Goodness! So the tow truck can only hold one person. I am speechless at this point. I seriously thought I was about to have a panic attack. Thank God for our good friend, Storm, that drove all the way out there to come get us. I don't know what we would do without Candice and Storm sometimes. Seriously! Somehow, Davis was perfect through the entire thing. He was so good and pretty much was passed out! We finally made it home around 1:30 am. What a night!! People say bad things happen in 3's...I think we are ahead of the game for next time. We can only look back and laugh now. We have to wait until Honda opens tomorrow to get a key made. It could have been a lot worse, so we were pretty lucky.

Here's my little Santa's helper! Every time he smiled, I missed it!!

10 comments:

Emily said...

Whoa! What a night. Really what else can you do but laugh! Plus I've never even heard of a rim key, that's crazy. Hope your hubby's ankle feels better soon, poor fella.
Love the Santa suit!!

Heather@WHMB said...

Your son looks adorable! I never catch the smiles on camera either, they are too quick with those things. :)

WHAT. A. NIGHT. You poor thing, but good for you for finding humor in all of it.

Annie said...

oh gosh...what a nightmare!!

BUT your babe in that Santa outfit is the CUTEST!! awww

Lisa said...

What a trip! Glad it all worked out okay. Love the Santa outfit - we have one, too, and I can't wait to put him in it!

Ashley said...

Oh my gosh! What a mess!!

He's ADORABLE! :)

Anonymous said...

That all just sounds like a nightmare! The upside is that little cutie in the santa suit - adorable!

Felicia said...

what a night!!

He looks absolutely adorable!

Alicia said...

oh man!! aren't those nights just the worst! but at least you had such an awesome attitude about it and the little guy looks ADORABLE in his santa suit!

Kiki said...

adorable picture. your little helper is the cutest. i have an outfit that my son has been wearing for 2 Christmases and i hope to get him in it this year for his holiday program at school. i need to make some modifications first. what an adventurous evening out. i hope your hubs heals quickly and you have better luck next year. take care.

Debbie said...

What an angel. I came by to visit because you were nice enough to visit my blog. I hope you had a wonderful Christmas and New Years!