Monday, July 25, 2011

Super Nanny Is My Friend

As mentioned before, Michael's niece is staying with us for the summer. Maybe I was expecting dancing around the living room all day, doing each other's hair, but who was I kidding? Seeing as how we aren't having dance parties all day, some rules and structure had to be implemented. So what did we do one fun filled Friday evening? Well, make a house rules and chore chart, of course.





Having a nine year old in the house, for over a month already, makes me feel like I'm being tested for what is to come down the road. Although I don't have a girl, the awesome tween drama is giving me enough insight to make me want to hide in the closet. Never fear! Super Nanny is here. If you have been hiding in the closet yourself, and don't know who Super Nanny is, please come out and google her. We started putting Davis in time out and starting discipline with him at an early age. Is it working? Well, we shall see. So why not use her rules and structure for the nine year old.





Coming up with the house rules was actually a lot harder than I thought it was going to be. I thought I was going to be spitting out about 20 rules off the top of my head, but when it came down to it, I kept stalling. Breyonna was shockingly excited to make a house rules board, and I feel it was because we included her in it. We came up with the rules, and she got to write them on a posterboard, then decorate it. If the house rules are broken and/or not done, she does not get freedoms. "Freedoms" means no fun stuff such as playing next door with her friend, allowance, swimming, etc.






We also have a chore chart that we have started for her to follow daily. This includes such chores as make your bed, straighten the bathroom, and shower daily. It never occured to me that I would have to remind someone to take a shower everyday. Since I'm no longer nine and realized people don't like the stinky person, it is now a chore. For each chore, she gets a star, and then gets rewarded at the end of the week with either allowance, or a fun activity.




I know what some of you are thinking. How hard can it be? She's just nine! Well, how hard can a two year old be? He's just two! Exactly! But if you know me, then you know that I stress over the little things and need to be smacked with some patience.
I know one thing is for sure. Davis is going to have massive withdrawls and such a hard time when he realizes she is no longer here. We really have been having such a fun time. Sunday Spa Night, homemade pasta night, painting. A lot of painting! I have a little Picasso on my hands!

So for now, I'll roll with the punches and still dance around the living room in my own dance party!

No comments: