Monday, February 15, 2010

It's A Process...

To swaddle, or not swaddle...that is the question. Yes, that's right. At almost six months old, (insert sigh) Davis is still being swaddled. Some of you I've talked to and you're having the same issue, so at least I know I'm not the only one. But goodness child, let the thing go already! Not happening. I seriously didn't know I would basically have to wean him from the swaddle. As long as he doesn't start going to preschool with a swaddle instead of a blanket, we are good. (KIDDING! And besides, thank goodness they don't make them that big. We would have issues there. And how odd would that look!?!)

I tried to go cold turkey on him and just not swaddle him at all. Grant me the strength dear Lord. That was awful. I felt as if I had just returned home from the hospital and was back to no sleep again. I actually had to research on how to drop the swaddle. Sad, but true. What were the results, you ask? Well, like I said, it's a process. For the first few days, I only swaddled one arm during his nap times. Since he was fighting sleep and did not nap very well, I would swaddle both arms for him at night. Zzzzz...the house was silent. I did that for about 4 days and then left his one arm out at night. By that time, he was used to it. Now I am on to two arms and someone is NOT happy with me. Actually screaming as I am typing. For the most part, he does pretty good with two arms out, but is still having his fun screaming sessions. After a few days, I will make the big jump and have both arms out at night. Serenity now!

Davis sometimes falls asleep while I'm holding him (which I LOVE by the way) and if he jumps, it still scares him. So I can understand the still wanting to be swaddled thing. He is still used to being all bundled up even from when I was pregnant with him. But it's time. Yes, I can see you nodding your head in agreement! :) **crossing fingers**

10 comments:

OC Fun Blog said...

Awww....This time flies by so fast. I remember when my little one was that age. She is 5 now. Hang in there but at the same time revel in it because before you know it your little guy will be 5 and in Kindergarten. Now I am begging for a little cuddle time.

Meg said...

Aw. I remember when my little guy was that small. He wasn't a big fan of swaddling. Hope it all works out well for you!

Stopping by from SITS!

Daisygirl said...

I was the worst swaddler ever...with 3 kids I could never ever get it right. I even bought a really cool blanket that made it seem easy but I still sucked!

Shell said...

Good luck!

My youngest stayed swaddled until 7 months.

jules said...

Being a mother of grown children, I say let him swaddle as long as he wants. Never rush those little ones to grow up....

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry...we luckily didn't have much trouble getting Molly to give up her swaddle, but we all loved those things, that's for sure. We used the SwaddleMe from Babies R Us, and my mom went out a few days after we came home from the hospital and got us two more because we went through the two we had in one night and ended up doing laundry in the middle of the night so we could all get some sleep!

Good luck! A glass (or three) of wine might make the screaming a little more bearable. ;)

Lothiriel said...

Emma hates swaddle. She fights it every night. The only reason I do it, is because she falls asleep faster if I swaddle her.

Here I was thinking that she was too old for swaddling.

My other problem is that she scratches her head and face so bad, that she wakes herself up crying. I have to keep her hand inside the swaddle.

Yes, I clip her nails. She still causes herself lots of harm.
My little one will have no problem leaving it as she hates it. But I have to do it because of her busy little hands.

Keep us posted on how it's going with Davis.

Jennifer Bearden said...

You may want to research "pressure need." It's a sensory need present in many children. If that's the case, he might need a little more time. No big deal, he'll grow outta it. There is nothing he can dish out that you can't handle! ~_^ I have a 2-year-old in my class with a HUGE pressure need. At nap time, I have to apply pressure between his shoulder blades and legs to get him to go to sleep. He likes big bear hugs, and we have to do brain gym with him daily. But I wouldn't trade him for anything! ^_^

Shana Putnam said...

Blaze hated to be swaddled and I couldn't get the darn special blanket to look right anyway so he slept free.

Unknown said...

Oh, I sympathize with anything that interrupts their sleep! We swaddled in the beginning, but my daughter never stays still. My son used to love it though and we swaddled for awhile! I hope the transition goes well. Good luck!