Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Pour Your Heart Out:Common Courtesy



Seriously, where and what happened to good old common courtesy? You would think your friends and family of all people would have some. But to no avail, some people have none. Were you raised in a barn? Do you have no manners? Did mama slap you with the stupid stick? I don't understand some people sometimes and what goes on in their heads. It has always, always bothered me when someone tells you they are going to do something and then don't. Sometimes don't even tell you that they aren't going to do it, and what, think you won't notice? I don't work that way. I will bend over backwards for you, keep my word, and be there, because that is what I would expect from other people. But ah, yes. Not everyone works that way.

What happened to RSVP to a party? It's completely nonexistent these days! Let me tell you, people showed up at my wedding and I didn't know who in the world some of those people were. It is completely uncouth to bring people that weren't invited, let alone people you don't even know. I can't even tell you how many people I met at my own wedding. Even if they are family, doesn't mean they have to come.

Although I didn't have a wedding this past weekend, I did have a BBQ for an early birthday. I was so excited when Michael decided to put this together for me in Dallas so I could see a bunch of my friends. It was going to be simple and fun. A cookout during the day, so that people could bring their kids, hang out and drink some beer. Easy! We sent out invites and at the bottom, (and it wasn't in fine print) said RSVP by texting to my phone. Granted, I did get a lot of texts saying that people were coming and I started to get so excited. I had counted over 30 people off the top of my head that were coming and I couldn't wait! The day of my BBQ, things started to change and my mood shifted. I texted some of my close friends saying I couldn't wait to see them....waiting, waiting. Nothing. I understand things happen. We have kids now. They get sick. Puke on your clothes, hair, what have you. So I totally understand. But if you can't come, have the common courtesy to at least let me know. I'm not going to get upset and start yelling at you or anything. Life is full of surprises. But I came in town expecting to see some of my close friends and didn't. Feelings hurt? Yes. What's my point? Pick up the phone. Text someone. RSVP! It's in the constitution!

Overall, my BBQ was a ton of fun, and don't get me wrong, people came. So don't go grabbing a Kleenex for me :) It was great and so much fun to catch up with friends I hardly ever get to see. My friends are amazing and I love you all!

5 comments:

Shell said...

Well, glad you still had fun, but I agree- let people know if your plans change!

Anonymous said...

That is one of my biggest pet peeves too. It annoys the crap out of me.
I'm so glad you still have a fun BBQ. Happy birthday!

Chantele said...

Flaky people piss me off! All of my friends are like that.

jules said...

I think too many people today just don't have common sense...or don't use it.

Laurel said...

I absolutely can't stand that kind of thing. I'd be very, very aggravated in your shoes.