Sunday, January 29, 2012

The Civil Wars-DATE NIGHT!

Last week, I had such an amazing date night. Quiet dinner to start, just the two of us. Did you read that? Quiet!! Which of course if you have toddlers, you know having this is a rare thing to have a quiet dinner or have food thrown across the table. We also had tickets to see The Civil Wars, which I was so beyond excited about. Like waaaaaaaaaaaaay excited!

I have to add in that dinner with my husband and I can be interesting. We talk the entire time, about anything and everything. Especially if you are sitting by a big hungry vagina staring at you on the wall.
Yes, that's right. Michael thought this looked like a big hungry vagina, and was going to eat him whole. If only I could be in his mind for maybe 30 minutes, I could see how that crazy thing worked. Needless to say, I nearly had wine coming out of my nose, staring at what was actually a giant artichoke.

After our very delicious, and ever so entertaining meal, we headed on to Cain's Ballroom. If you are from Tulsa, you know that Cain's is a staple here. Most big performances that come through, play there. It. Was. Amazing! The evolutions, inventions, and standard set outlines for swing, big band, and rock and roll evolved inside Cain's.

The Civil Wars are best described as a mutt. Why? They are a mix of folk, country, and blue grass. With just two people in the band, and no backup, they travel to bring concert goers like me, a phenomenal show. Acoustic guitar and an occasional piano interlude, bring in hauntingly beautiful music to your ears.  Each song is an intimate conversation, and no third wheels or dinner-party chatter are going to interrupt that gorgeous, haunting hush. In some ways, music doesn't get much more modest or minimalist than it is in the hands of The Civil Wars, a duo comprised of California-to-Nashville transplant Joy Williams and her Alabaman partner, John Paul White.

Our cutest picture of the night, just for you!

You may recognize this song from the radio. By the way, I don't even like country, and I love them!



Hope you've had a wonderful weekend!

1 comment:

Brooke said...

I'm so mad I missed it! I was so excited to go! I love that song too! AND LOVE the pics and music video..
I must learn to do this!
LOVE YOU