Tuesday, April 6, 2010

I Am Mom! Hear Me Roar!

Oh, if only every day were filled with laughter, baby and mom running through a field of flowers, singing tunes from 'Sound of Music' and ending the day with a nap. And then I wake up! If this doesn't scream oxymoron, I don't know what does! No, I'm definitely not that mom that greets her husband at the door with a drink and the dinner on the table.

I would love to be considered SUPER MOMMY! With my special mommy cape and running shoes, ready to take on the day. There are some days, when I feel like I can take on the world. That I want to shout out, 'What that's all ya have? I got this, people!!' The day actually ran surprisingly smooth. I get my workout on in the morning, we have our learning time, naps go great, dinner is on the table. Why did I ever doubt myself? Pish, posh to bad thoughts. Davis sleeps through the night and wakes up a super monster. What? Now, how did this happen?

Then there are the other days, when I don't feel like super mommy, I feel like I'm drowning. So I have a talk with my self. Self, let's talk. I try to remind myself I am not doing anything wrong. Babies scream, right?! And ugg...even the dreaded all day screams. Gotta love teething. Good times, yes?! Sometimes I feel like I am in a rut of monotony and I feel stuck. My days are planned. My meals are planned. I know what I will be doing each time of the day, almost every day. Sometimes I like this, sometimes it's way too routine. For Davis, it runs smoothly and I wouldn't change it. For me? Not so much, but I have to deal with it and learn to cope. There is always the alternative of running a chaotic household, so to that I say, I'll stick with monotony.

I still go meet friends during the day, have play dates, and get togethers, so sometimes I have to tell myself to relax. It doesn't matter if the floor isn't mopped today. That the laundry isn't put away. Or that we eat sandwiches for dinner. To Davis, I am Super Mommy and wouldn't change that for the world. Here's to taking it one day at a time and learning to breathe. Every Mom has their own Super Powers!

5 comments:

Lothiriel said...

ha!

I can relate! I too, do the playdates and strive to be a super mom.

But I've failed miserably! LOL!
Just today, I got a small slap on the wrist from the pedi. I was all proud telling him how I'm starting to play Baby Einstein DVD's for Emma, and she says: "NO TV AT THIS AGE!" Dang it! I can never be perfect!

Daisygirl said...

Ya I am so not super mom although I am sure my kids think so! I try to do too much and I think that makes me less super!
This was a fabulous post something every mom needs to hear and read!

Just A Normal Mom said...

"Oh, if only every day were filled with laughter, baby and mom running through a field of flowers, singing tunes from 'Sound of Music' and ending the day with a nap." -- You mean this doesn't happen for you? Ha! I can totally relate to your post. Hang in there. Once they become teenagers, you'll long for the days when you knew what you were doing next. Life fills with last minute everything - school projects due tomorrow, change in sports schedules, needs that have to happen NOW. The challenges just change - but you'll still be Super Mommy in his eyes, because you'll still be making it happen. :-)

***Ally

Kristy @Loveandblasphemy said...

Amen, Sister! I have a blog post dedicated to this very thing. It is called, Supermom is a myth.

Unknown said...

Oh yes, so very very true! It's amazing how the days can go in one direction when you mean for them to go in another. It takes time until you get past the things you think you "should" be getting accomplished. A happy baby is really the ultimate goal though! We have to learn to give ourselves a break.
Great post!